The Show Me Challenge
Inspired by the hit TV show "Shark Tank" and other similar competitions, The Show Me Challenge is a new way for team members in Missouri’s 16 executive departments to identify solutions that improve how we serve our citizens, cut out unnecessary bureaucratic work, and/or save time and money.
The Show Me Challenge, launched in January 2019, inspires teams across state government and at every level to compete and find ways for state team members to work together better. In its first three cycles, the Show Me Challenge received more than 100 proposals from over 500 team members across the state.
You can learn more about the finalist teams and their proposals under the “Previous Cycles” tab. The Fourth Cycle is now open. The deadline for initial pitches is April 24, 2020 and the final competition will be held on June 19, 2020.
The Show Me Challenge is an important part of The Missouri Way of management, which is all about improving how we work together. State of Missouri senior leaders know that many of the best solutions come from state team members, the people working hard for their fellow citizens every day.
Here’s how The Show Me Challenge works:
- Teams develop short pitches for their solutions, including a project plan and expected impact.
- A selection committee reviews the pitches and narrows the pool to about 10 finalist teams.
- For a couple months, the finalist teams fully develop their proposed solutions.
- Teams deliver in-person pitches and final presentations to a panel of judges made up of senior leaders, followed by a Q&A session in a “Shark Tank” setting.
- Winners will be chosen based upon the quality of their solutions and their final presentation.
The winners will receive a cash award and public recognition for their creativity and commitment to continuous improvement. Members of the first place team will receive $500 per team member. The winning teams will also receive senior support and mentorship to translate their proposals into results.
For guidance on how to complete a pitch and examples from the winning teams of previous cycles, please visit our resources page.